Brunswick Structure Plan
About the Brunswick Structure Plan
The Brunswick Structure Plan has been adopted by Council to guide the evolution and growth of Brunswick over the next 10-15 years. The plan takes into account the views of the community and various stakeholders, as well as the diversity, historical fabric and special character of Brunswick.
The Brunswick Structure Plan includes:
- building design and height guidelines
- provision to create more housing
- more retail and commercial space thereby creating local job opportunities
- people friendly streets and parks
- better cycling, pedestrian and public transport links, and
- building on the character and uniqueness of Brunswick.
Addendum to the Brunswick Structure Plan
An addendum to the Brunswick Structure Plan was adopted by Council on 13 June 2012.
This addendum supersedes a number of built form guidelines relating to building height, street setbacks, upper storey setbacks and active frontage types. It also redefines the boundary of the activity centre to exclude areas not part of a Local Area Precinct (Brunswick Core Industry and Employment Precinct, Holmes Street and east-west streets).
For more information about the addendum, see Minutes from the 13 June 2012 Council meeting (PDF 2Mb).
Implementation of the Brunswick Structure Plan
The Brunswick Structure Plan is currently proposed to be implemented into the Merri-bek Planning Scheme via Amendment C134: Brunswick Major Activity Centre Structure Plan.
Council have adopted a place management approach to managing change and have appointed a place manager for each Council structure plan.
Place management is the mechanism for managing the wide range of issues, challenges and opportunities that face an activity area every day. It is a management approach that enables issues to be pursued in an integrated, coordinated way to achieve the economic, social and environmental potential of an activity area.
This approach recognises the complexity of managing change in Brunswick and the need to focus on both the big picture and improving and influencing day-to-day service delivery.
Brunswick Structure Plan documents
The Brunswick Structure Plan consists of two volumes, an addendum and addendum map. These files are optimised for web viewing and will not produce high quality printed versions.
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Volume 1 section 1 (PDF 7Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Volume 1 section 2 (PDF 6Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Sydney Road Corridor - Volume 2 part 1 section 1 (PDF 6Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Sydney Road Corridor - Volume 2 part 1 section 2 (PDF 4Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Sydney Road Corridor - Volume 2 part 1 section 3 (PDF 3Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Lygon Street - Volume 2 part 2 section 1 (PDF 6Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Lygon Street - Volume 2 part 2 section 2 (PDF 4Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Nicholson Street - Volume 2 part 3 section 1 (PDF 5Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Nicholson Street - Volume 2 part 3 section 2 (PDF 3Mb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Addendum (DOC 138Kb)
- Brunswick Structure Plan - Addendum map (PDF 1Mb)
- What is a structure plan? has more information about structure plans.
- Brunswick Activity Centre
- About Activity Centres
For more information on the Brunswick Structure Plan and the place management approach to managing change in Brunswick, contact Council.
There are some documents that are only available as PDFs on this page. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, you can contact us through our Contact page and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. You can also go to our Accessibility page to find out further details.