When you renovate or extend your house, such as adding an extra room, building a pergola in your backyard, building a front fence, installing a new driveway or even installing a water tank or air-conditioner, you may need a planning permit.

The best way to find out whether you need a planning permit for your house renovation is to speak to a Council Urban Planning Officer before you lodge an application.

An Urban Planning Officer will also be able to tell you if a planning permit exists for your property. You can contact Council or visit the Merri-bek Civic Centre at 90 Bell Street, Coburg.

Do I need a planning permit for my renovation?

Whether you need a planning permit for your house renovation depends on the zones, overlays and planning permits that may cover the property. All properties have a zone, and some properties have an overlay, for example, your property may be covered by the heritage overlay.

You can find the zone and overlay for your property by searching for your address on the Moreland Planning Scheme online.

Applying for a planning permit

To apply for a planning permit for a house renovation you need to submit a planning permit application to Council. You can submit the application and pay the fee online.

For step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a planning permit and what information you need to submit with the application, see planning process.