Business and commercial

Council understands that starting a new business and expanding or relocating a business can provide benefits to community, including increasing employment and investment in Merri-bek. 

If you want to establish a new business or expand an existing business in Merri-bek you may need a planning permit.

The best way to find out if you need a planning permit and what is required for a planning permit application is to contact Council.

Find out more about starting or growing a business in Merri-bek.

Applying for a planning permit

Commercial Priority process

Some applications may qualify for the Commercial Priority process.

Council has a Commercial Priority process to help reduce delays for new or expanding business.

A planning permit application qualifies for Commercial Priority if it proposes:

  • a new business in Merri-bek, or
  • development for an expansion of an existing business where the cost of works is greater than $100,000 or where it can be demonstrated that the development will result in a significant increase in local employment.

For more information, see:

The best way to find out if your proposal qualifies for Commercial Priority and complies with the Moreland Planning Scheme is to contact Council to organise a free pre-application meeting with our Commercial Priority Planner.

Business signage permits

In some cases, you will need a planning permit to display an advertising sign associated with your business.

The best way to find out if you need a planning permit for signage is to contact Council.

For more information on the process, see the:

Clause 52.05 of the Merri-bek Planning Scheme and Clause 22.07 of the Merri-bek Planning Scheme provide more information about the rules related to displaying advertising signs. You can also view the complete Moreland Planning Scheme online.

Liquor licences

In most cases, you will require a planning permit to sell or consume liquor at your business. This is in addition to a Liquor Licence from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).

Development Contributions Plan levy

The Development Contribution Plan (DCP) is a fee (levy) for developments that are proposing to increase the leasable commercial or industrial floor area.

See Moreland Development Contribution Plan (DCP) for further details.

Brochures and checklists

Business types

Advertising signs

Carparking requirement reduction

Licensed premises