4. Advertising and community consultation

Planning goes digital

If your planning permit application involves use or development of land that affects other houses, units or businesses, then your application may need to be publicly advertised.

Advertising planning applications

If your planning permit application needs to be advertised, you will receive a letter from Council explaining what you need to do and requesting payment for advertising costs.

Where and how an application needs to be advertised

Where and how your planning permit application is advertised depends on the type of land use or development you are proposing.

Planning permit application advertising may include:

  • Displaying a Notice of an Application for a Planning Permit on the land, usually for a minimum of 14 days (longer during the festive season in December and January).
  • Sending letters to the adjoining property owners and occupiers.
  • Placing a Notice of an Application for a Planning Permit in the local newspaper. 

The letter from Council explains where and for how long you need to advertise your planning permit application. 

Confirming that the advertising requirements were met

After the mandatory advertising period, the applicant needs to provide Council with a signed statutory declaration stating that the advertising was carried out for the mandatory period, as well as a photo of the onsite sign if applicable.

  1. Download the Planning Statutory Declaration form (DOC 196Kb) 
  2. Upload the completed Statutory Declaration form with the photo through Council Online Services.


Objections may be received in relation to your application. These objections are publicly available during the consideration of the application. Further discussion or consultation may be beneficial depending on the nature of objections received.

The most appropriate consultation may be a mediation meeting with only the most affected party, circulation of revised plans or a planning information and discussion meeting with all objectors invited. 

You can request copies of the objections by emailing planningapplications@moreland.vic.gov.au  You must state your reasons for the request.  Documents provided as a result of the request are made available for the purpose of the planning process as set out in the Planning and Environment Act 1987.  The information must not be used for any other purpose.  By requesting the objections you acknowledge and agree that you will only use the document/s for the purpose specified above and that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the document/s is strictly prohibited.

View current planning permit applications

You can access a range of reports on the status of planning applications including current planning permit applications and planning decisions through the Council website.

As soon as we update information in Council's system, you can view it on our website.

Related brochures and guidelines