Vehicle crossing permits – building or altering a driveway

When you need a Vehicle Crossing permit

If you are building, altering, repairing or removing a vehicle accessway from your property to the road across the footpath and kerb (known as a ‘crossing’ under the Local Government Act 1989 and a ‘crossover’ under the Merri-bek Planning Scheme) you need a Vehicle Crossing permit from Council.

The vehicle crossing is the responsibility of the owner of the property to which it provides access, even though it is outside the property.

The crossing is built in Council’s road reserve (the street), so Council needs to ensure the works are to Council specifications. One reason for this is to protect Council’s assets and the assets of service authorities that may lie under, near or within the crossing.

The construction and maintenance of the crossing is the responsibility of the property owner who requires vehicle access to the street.

When you also need a Road Closure permit

You may need to obtain a Temporary Road Occupation permit before a Vehicle Crossing permit depending on the classification of the street you are building the crossing on.

Local streets do not require a Temporary Road Occupation permit. All other classifications of streets require a Temporary Road Occupation permit.

Please refer to Melway Online to determine the classification of the street. 

When you also need a planning permit

You may need to obtain a planning permit before a Vehicle Crossing permit. The two most common reasons for needing a planning permit are if the property is in a heritage area or if the crossing will access a VicRoads road.


A Vehicle Crossing permit application incurs a fee. These fees are reviewed annually. 

The 2020-21 fees are:

  • $333.15 permit fee. This fee includes an initial consultation, 1 prepour inspection and a final inspection which is invoiced and needs to be paid before a site inspection is scheduled.
  • $112.60 fee if an additional inspection is required.

Payment options, including online payment, are detailed on the invoice you receive from Council after the onsite preliminary inspection.

Additional fees and charges may also be payable for the removal or replacement of street trees impacted by the construction of the new crossing. See our tree removal web page.

How to apply for a Vehicle Crossing permit

To apply for a Vehicle Crossing permit, you firstly need to phone Council's Operations Centre on 9240 1111

Council issues an invoice for the permit application and, when paid, you can arrange a suitable day for Council to meet you or a representative to conduct an onsite preliminary inspection.

On the day, the inspection officer will contact you to arrange a specific inspection time.

During the consultation inspection, the Council officer assesses your application and provides you with necessary information on whether a crossing is possible and identifies which service authorities you may need to contact regarding their assets. 

Additional information or site changes may be required before Council can grant approval for the crossing. 

If approval is granted, the necessary information is provided by Council.

What happens after you apply

Council advises you in writing of the outcome of your application.

When approval has been granted by Council for a crossing, the permit holder can excavate to prepare for the construction of the vehicle crossing. 

Pre-pour onsite inspection

Concrete pouring of the excavated crossing must not start before Council has carried out a pre-pour onsite inspection.

Phone Council's Operations Centre on 9240 1111 to arrange a pre-pour inspection at least 48 hours before the concrete pour.

If the inspector approves the excavation and preparation then the crossing can be constructed.

Final inspection

After the crossing has been constructed, Council will carry out a final inspection of the works to ensure that they meet Council specifications.

If the pre-pour excavation and preparation did not meet the required standard, an explanation on how to meet the standard will be provided. 

Possible additional inspection

An invoice for the additional inspection will be issued and when paid, the Operations Centre will need to be contacted at least 48 hours before the rescheduled concrete pour for a new pre-pour inspection.

If the final inspector finds that the construction does not meet the required standard, an explanation on how to meet the standard will be provided and works will need to be redone. An invoice will be issued for a pre-pour inspection.

It is important to engage a contractor experienced at constructing vehicle crossings in Merri-bek to avoid paying repeat inspection invoices. Any damage to Council assets needs to be repaired to Council's satisfaction and at the permit holder's expense.