Flood Mapping in Merri-bek

Our vision for Merri-bek as a water sensitive city includes adapting to weather extremes in a changing environment. 

Council has recently completed a flood mapping study of all drainage catchments across Merri-bek to better understand local flood risks. 

The study identified properties that may be affected by overland stormwater flows during a 1% Annual Exceedance Probability (AEP) rainfall event.  

A 1% Annual Exceedance Probability (AEP) event is a high-intensity storm that has only a 1% statistical chance of being exceeded in any one year.  During a storm of this intensity, heavy rainfall can lead to stormwater flowing overland, damaging properties and infrastructure. We’ve prepared flood maps [link] for the municipality and are preparing to designate the flood extent as area liable to flooding. 

This means that a flood level will need to be obtained and the proposed controls will require a report and consent from Council before a permit can be issued for new buildings, or renovations and additions to properties 

Flooding declaration under the Building Regulations 2018

Following consultation, Council has made a declaration under the Building Regulations that more than 7,500 properties are in areas prone to flooding during high intensity rainfall. This declaration is an important step to help reduce the risks and impacts of flooding.

Is my property affected? 

To determine if your property has been identified as prone to flooding during a 1% Annual Exceedance Probability (AEP) rainfall event, you can search your address

You can also view the Moreland Flood Mapping

My property is identified as prone to flooding, now what?  

Once these new controls are implemented, we’ll work with you via a two-step approvals process when planning any building works: 

Step 1: Lodge a Flood Level Application for preliminary advice. 

  1. Register with Council Online Services. As a registered user, you don't need to re-enter your personal information and can keep track of requests and applications on any device.
  2. Apply for a flood level certificate. You need to sign in to Council Online Services to apply.
  3. As part of the online application process, the fee is paid online by Visa or MasterCard. Fees are applicable from 1 July 2021. 

Apply for a flood level certificate

Step 2:
 Once the design is finalised, lodge a Report and Consent application.

Learn more

Council has produced a brochure on Building in Flood Prone Areas. It is a useful tool when planning to build on land within the flood extent.

Visit our Flood Mapping consultation page on Conversations Merri-bek. 

If you are worried about flooding impacts on your property, have questions, or just want to provide us with more information on how your property has flooded in the past, please contact  our Customer Contact Centre on 9240 1111 or info@moreland.vic.gov.au.