The city of Merri-bek is well served by trains, trams and buses. Two train lines, five tram services and sixteen bus routes pass through Merri-bek.
Public Transport services are managed by the Victorian Department of Transport agency Public Transport Victoria (PTV). In the City of Merri-bek, PTV are responsible for:
- Timetable and route planning
- Fares and ticketing
- Trains and train stations
- Trams and tram stops
- Buses and bus stops
If you have an issue with any of these services please contact PTV
Public transport route maps and timetables.
PTV have smart phone apps for android and iphone with route planning and timetable information. PTV also have map of the bus and tram routes and train stations in Merri-bek, as well as timetables available for download.
Paper copies of train, tram and bus timetables are also available at the Brunswick, Coburg and Fakwner Merri-bek Council customer service centres
Fares and ticketing
Public transport zones and concessions
Public Transport Victoria operate a zone based ticketing system with concessions.
The boundary between zone 1 and zone 2 runs through Oak Park, Pascoe Vale and Coburg North.
Staff at Coburg and Fawkner Railway station can process applications for Student Consession ID cards.
Myki is a reusable pass that allows you to travel on Melbourne's trains, trams and buses and some V/Line services. You can buy myki online, at staffed train stations and at selected shops. Myki is also available via the google pay app.
Touch on your myki each time you get on a train, tram or bus and touch off each time you get off. Your myki card will calculate the best fare for your trip and deduct it from stored credit.
Register your myki online to add credit online or set up automatic top up. Recharge your myki with a myki machines at train stations and major tram and bus stops, on the Public Transport Victoria website or by calling 1800 800 007
Trains and train stations
Trains and train stations are operated and maintained by train service operator Metro on behalf of PTV.
The Upfield and Craigieburn train lines run through Merri-bek.
Glenroy station and Coburg station are premium, staffed stations. These stations also sell tickets for V/Line regional train and bus services.
Trams and tram stops
Trams in Merri-bek are operated by YarraTrams on behalf of PTV.
Yarra Trams publish the TramTracker app for android and iphone. TramTracker can tell you how long until next tram and will tell you if there's a delay.
Tram services in Merri-bek include:
- Tram 96 travels between St Kilda and East Brunswick. It runs along Nicholson Street and terminates at Blyth Street.
- Tram 1 travels between South Melbourne Beach and East Coburg. It runs along Lygon Street and Nicholson Street (north) and terminates at Bell Street.
- Tram 6 travels between Merri-bek and Glen Iris. It runs along Lygon Street and Merri-bek Road and terminates at Merri-bek train station.
- Tram 19 travels between Elizabeth Street (City) and North Coburg. It runs along Sydney Road and terminates at Bakers Road.
- Tram 58 travels between Toorak and West Coburg. It runs along Grantham Street, Dawson Street and then Melville Road, and terminates at Bell Street.
Buses and bus stops
Bus services in the city of Merri-bek are operated by Broadmeadows Bus (530), CDC Victoria (490), Dysons Group (504, 508, 509, 513, 534, 536, 542, 561), Moonee Valley Coaches (503, 506), Moreland Bus (510, 512), and Ventura (527) on behalf of PTV.
- Bus 490 Airport West to Gowanbrae via Melrose Drive and Gowanbrae Drive
- Bus 503 Essendon - East Brunswick via Albion Street
- Bus 504 Moonee Ponds - Clifton Hill via East Brunswick
- Bus 506 Moonee Ponds - Westgarth Station via Brunswick
- Bus 508 Alphington - Moonee Ponds via Northcote and Brunswick
- Bus 509 Brunswick West - Barkly Square Shopping Centre via Hope Street and Sydney Road
- Bus 510 Essendon - Ivanhoe via Brunswick & Northcote and Thornbury. Buses on this route can carry bikes
- Bus 512 Strathmore - East Coburg via Pascoe Vale South & Coburg West & Coburg. Buses on this route can carry bikes
- Bus 513 Eltham - Glenroy via Greensborough or Lower Plenty
- Bus 527 Gowrie - Northland via Murray Road
- Bus 530 Campbellfield - Coburg via Fawkner
- Bus 534 Glenroy to Coburg via Boundary Road & Sydney Road
- Bus 536 Gowrie - Glenroy via Gowrie Park
- Bus 542 Roxburgh Park - Pascoe Vale via Meadow Heights, Broadmeadows and Glenroy
- Bus 561 Macleod - Pascoe Vale via La Trobe University
- Smart Bus 903 Altona - Mordialloc
Bus stop seats and bus shelters
PTV manage bus stops across Victoria and are responsible for the 684 bus stops in the city of Merri-bek. Merri-bek Council assists PTV to provide better quality waiting spaces with an ongoing program install bus shelters.
BusVic is an industry association who has worked with Merri-bek Council to advocate for bus service quality improvements.
The Metropolitan Transport Forum an advocacy group comprising local governments and other organisations who work together campaign for public transport improvements.
Help with public transport issues
If you you have a complaint or dispute with PTV the Public Transport Ombudsman can help. The is a not-for-profit, independent dispute resolution body, providing a free, fair, informal and accessible service for the resolution of complaints about public transport in Victoria.