Asset protection permits

What is asset protection?

Asset Protection team is responsible for ensuring that Council’s civil assets are not damaged during the construction phase.

If you’re planning on conducting construction work on your property it is important that Council assets are not damaged during the period of construction works (e.g. Road, footpath, drainage, kerb, nature strip etc.).

The property owner will be liable for the cost of replacing or repairing any assets that are damaged including damage done by their builder, contractor or sub-contractor.


When do I need a permit?

You will need an asset protection permit if your works require a building permit or are valued over $5000.

*Please note: Individual asset protection permits need to be obtained for both demolition and construction works. One individual asset protection permit cannot be used for more than one item on the table below.

For example, when carrying out demolition works the same asset protection permit used for these works cannot be used for the construction of a dwelling/units or any other type of construction.

How do I apply?

You can now apply for an asset protection permit online.

Once your application has been received, it will be processed and a permit will be issued.

Construction works may commence once you have received an asset protection permit. Please note that depending on the type of works you may also require a building permit.

Apply for an asset protection permit online


How long will my application take to process?

Your application will take up to 5 business days to be processed.


Will there be inspections?

We will conduct routine inspections throughout the period of construction works.

When you have completed your works, contact us to arrange a final inspection of Council assets at your property.

If damage has occurred to Council assets and it is deemed the damage is associated with your building activity, the extent of damage is detailed and you're notified in writing.

It is important to note that if a dilapidation report or photographic evidence of the condition of the existing assets (prior to construction) is not provided Council will assume that all assets are in good condition.


How long is it valid for?

An Asset Protection permit is valid for one year from date of issue.

If your construction works exceed the one year period you will be required to renew the permit.


How much does it cost?

An Asset Protection permit application incurs a fee. These fees are reviewed yearly.

Apply for an asset protection permit online


Fees for 2020-21

Code Type of building works being undertaken Permit fee


Re-blocking or underpinning



Building works valued between $5000 and $20,000



Demolition (does not include any building works)



Building works over $20,000 other than those types listed below



Single dwelling construction



Unit development - up to 4 units



Unit development - more than 4 units and up to 8 units



Unit development - more than 8 units



Multi-storey development more than 2 storeys and up to 5 storeys



Multi-storey development more than 5 storeys



Additional Asset Protection Site Inspection Fee   $112.60

PSO/Hoardings $4.80 sqm/week plus $81.95 Reg 116 issued or $295.05 Reg 116 not issued

Construction Management Plan 1-5 dwellings       $1,000.00

Construction Management Plan 6-10 dwellings     $2,500.00

Construction Management Plan 11+ dwellings      $5,000.00

Vehicle Crossing Permit                                           $333.15


What happens if I don't organise a permit?

Without a valid permit, a building site is in breach of the local law and an infringement notice will be issued to the owner for failing to comply with Merri-bek City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb).

In this case, Council will assume that all public assets were in a satisfactory condition before building works started and that any damage was caused by building works associated with the property.


Asset protection fines

Council authorised officers can issue an infringements under the Merri-bek City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb) for breaches of the local law. 

If you are issued with an asset protection fine, you may pay the asset protection fine or request a review of the asset protection fine.

Apply for an asset protection permit online