Merri-bek in film and literature
Key histories of Merri-bek
- Almost Pretty: a history of Sydney Road by Laura Donati.
- Brunswick: one history many voices edited by Helen Penrose.
- Brunswick: stories and histories by the Brunswick Community History Group.
- It happened in Brunswick by Les Barnes.
- Coburg: between two creeks by Richard Broome.
- Coburg memories edited by Laurie Burchill.
- Broadmeadows: a forgotten history by Andrew Lemon.
Histories of some local organisations are also available. Check the catalogue for holdings.
Some items may only be available in the Local History collection (not for loan).
Documentaries and DVDs about Merri-bek
- Restoration and regeneration by Friends of the Merri Creek (2007)
- The Vic and Vida Show: a tribute to the Brunswick Progress Association (2006)
- Sydney Road: past, present and future (2005)
Fiction set in Moreland
These novels or short stories may have parts of Moreland (real or imagined) as part or whole of their setting.
- The art of the engine driver; The gift of speed; The time we have taken; by Steven Carroll.
- Death in Brunswick by Boyd Oxlade.
- Loaded by Christos Tsiolkas.
- The slightly true story of Cedar B. Hartley, and The slightly bruised glory of Cedar B. Hartley by Martine Murray.
- Stiff; The brush off; Nice try; The big ask; Something fishy; Sucked in by Shane Maloney
Poetry set in Merri-bek
See works by Myron Lysenko and Kevin Brophy.
Films, telemovies or TV series set in Merri-bek
These works may use parts of Merri-bek (real or imagined) as part or whole of their setting.
- Curtin [Telemovie] (2007)
- Carla Cametti PD (2008)
- Death in Brunswick [feature film] (1990)
- Kick [TV series] (2007)
- Stiff [Telemovie] (2005)
Works with references to Pentridge Prison
- Correlli [dvd] [TV series] (1995). Filmed at Pentridge. Starred Hugh Jackman and Deborah-Lee Furness.
- Delinquent angel byy Diana Georgeff. [Biography of Shelton Lea].
- From Pentonville to Pentridge : the history of prisons in Victoria by Peter J. Lynn, George Armstrong.
- H: the division from hell by Doug Robinson.
- The hanged man : the life and death of Ronald Ryan by Mike Richards.
- H.M. Central Sub-prison Pentridge : life behind the bluestone walls from 1800s-1980s.
- A knockabout priest : the story of Father John Brosnan by Tom Prior.
- The last man hanged [DVD] : the life and tragic times of Ronald Ryan (1993).
- Little black bastard : a story of survival by Noel Tovey [autobiography].
- Shantaram [fiction] by Gregory David Roberts.
Other items relating to Pentridge Prison are listed on the catalogue. Some may only be in the Local History Collection and not available for loan.