Information about reopening
Following the easing of restrictions, Merri-bek Libraries will be open from Friday, 11 June.
The health and safety of our community and staff remains our highest priority as we re-open. This means there are changes to the way our libraries operate, including strict hygiene and physical distancing rules. Here is what you need to know:
- When you visit the library, you will be required to check in using your mobile phone and the QR code on display (you may need to download the Service Victoria app). If you do not have a smart phone, please see library staff who will be able to take your details using your library card or name and phone number.
- You must wear a mask indoors (unless an exemption applies).
- There will be limits on the number of visitors to each library: 50 people at Brunswick, Coburg, Fawkner and Glenroy libraries and 20 people at Campbell Turnbull library.
- Please be patient if there are queues. We ask that you try to keep your visits as short as possible and encourage you to limit family visits to one person from the household (although children will require a supervisory adult). Attending the library as a family means a longer waiting time for others. We ask you to reserve your items in advance, this will be a big help to everyone.
- There will also be some other measures in place – things like taking card payments only, increased cleaning, borrowing only via the self-service kiosks, and returns only via the external returns chutes. These measures will be signposted and communicated upon entry.
- If you are unwell, do not visit. We cannot stress this enough.
- You can reserve items in the library catalogue, or you can call us to arrange the reservation of items. You will receive an email when your items are ready to collect.
- A limited number of PCs will be available, and sessions will be restricted to a maximum of 2 hours per day. We are not able to help you use the PCs unless we can do so from a 1.5 metre distance.
- You can return items through the external returns chutes at each library. We strongly encourage you to practice good hand hygiene in the library and after handling library items.
- Photocopying, scanning and printing facilities are available.
- Limited individual study spaces are available. Group study facilities are not available.
- In-person programs, including children's programs, have been postponed until July. For full details of both online and in-person events, check our What's On for adult events and our pre-school programs for children. Library programs continue to be offered via our Facebook page or YouTube channel.
- Online library services will continue to be available including e-books and e-audiobooks.
Finally, we are all continuing to navigate these unprecedented times together and we may need to make further adjustments along the way as we slowly progress toward pre-COVID-19 services.
We thank you for your continued understanding, patience and support as we reopen libraries and resume services.