Information for parents
We have a range of books, magazines and online resources to help you as a parent.
How to join the library
Your child can join the library at any age. Merri-bek City Libraries requires a guarantor with proof of address to complete a membership for people under 18 years old. A copy of the form to be completed can be downloaded here Library Membership for Juniors form (DOC 236Kb).
Or you may complete the online form and select ‘Junior and Teen (online registration)’
- Fill in the online registration form and click “Submit”.
- An email with a temporary borrower number will be sent to the email address nominated.
- Adult members will receive an email with the full library card number within 3 working days. Library cards will be posted in the mail.
- Guarantors nominated by a junior member will receive an email with a link to a form that can be completed online. On completion of this form, they will receive an email with the full library card number within 3 working days. Library cards will be posted in the mail.
- Alternatively, you may visit any Merri-bek library with your temporary number and proof of your current address to complete your registration and receive your library card. If you are a junior member, your guarantor will need to visit with you
Colour-coded children's books
The libraries have a range of books for children.
We have colour coded some of our children's books to make it easier for you to find what you are looking for as your child grows up.
Orange stripes: These are easy information picturebooks suitable for young children. Subject areas include: counting and alphabet, shapes, colours and art, animals, transport, places people live, all about people, festivals and food, space, maths, technology and environment
Green stripes: These are books that are suitable for children who are learning to read. There are a number of different series providing opportunities for exposure to lots of words.
Arrange a visit from a librarian or book a visit to the library
If you are a kindergarten or school in the Merri-bek municipality, you can have one visit from one of our library professionals.
We also welcome group visits to the library from schools, kinders and day-cares. Because we run activities at the library, we can allocate time slots for visits to ensure that you have space and a staff member is available. We can deliver information sessions, storytimes, STEAM, robotics and other presentations.
To book a day and time please use the form below to apply.
Please note that we require a minimum four weeks' notice to facilitate an incursion or excursion.
You can borrow Practical parenting magazine and Mother and Baby magazine from the library.
Also check out RBdigital for a range of magazines that you can download for free from the library website.
There are also a range of magazines available for children to borrow and read in the library.
The government's eSafety website has information about cybersafety, illegal content and cyberbullying.