From 1 December 2012, stage 1 water restrictions were lifted and permanent water use rules were put in place in Victoria.
Melbourne Water has more information on water use rules.
Watering your garden
You can water your garden using:
- a manual or automatic, spray or dripper watering system between 6 pm and 10 am, on any day, or
- a leak-free hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle at any time, on any day.
Water cannot be used to clean hard surfaces (including, driveways, paths, concrete, tiles and timber decking).
Council has tips on ways to save water at home.
Washing your car, bike or boat
You can wash your car, bike or boat using:
- a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle, a high pressure unit, bucket or a watering can any time, or
- a commercial car wash facility.
Council water reductions
Council is reducing its water use by:
- restricting the watering of sportsfields
- transitioning sportsgrounds to warm season grass
- installing water efficient taps, showerheads, toilets and waterless urinals at Council facilities, and
- installing water tanks at Council facilities for reuse of water in toilets.
See Watermap 2020 for more information on Council’s strategic direction for the sustainable management of water resources in Merri-bek.