Carers and family

Home support

Council's home support staff undertake household tasks including vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the bathroom and toilet, and washing.

Home support staff can provide shopping assistance for eligible residents who are no longer able to do their own basic grocery shopping or need some support to continue to do this for themselves.

Personal care assistance

Council's personal support staff help residents with showering, toileting, grooming and dressing.

Respite support

Council's respite service provides support for a person whose family or main carer need a short break.

How to request a service

To request a service from Council, you first need to make a referral.

Residents can refer themselves or a referral can be made by a relative or friend, doctor or other service provider, with the person's consent.

The way to make a referral depends on the age of the person and whether the person requiring the service is an existing client of a Merri-bek Aged and Disability Service.

See referral for service for further information.

The Aged and Disability Services brochure (PDF 268Kb) outlines the full range of Council services.