Pollution and odours

Complaints about pollution and odours

Merri-bek General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb) provides for the protection of amenity, aiming for a safe and healthy environment so that the community can enjoy a quality of life that meets its expectations.

Council investigates:

  • air, noise, water and land pollution
  • residential noise issues including loud music and use of equipment such as air conditioners
  • odour complaints such as smoke from residential chimneys 
  • overflowing sewage, rubbish or drainage where public health is threatened, and 
  • nuisance conditions that could be dangerous to health or offensive such as unsanitary premises.

Incinerators, fires and open air buring

Merri-bek has rules on open air fires and incinerators to make sure they don't cause a nuisance to others and are safe.

You can only have an open air fire or incinerator if:

  • it's for cooking food or heating
  • it's contained in a safe and appropriate device
  • the device is built specifically for corrking food or heating
  • the fire doesn't produce excess pollution that is a nuisance to others. 

Open air fires include fire pits, chimneys and chimeneas. If you are concerned about smoke in your area, contact the Environmental Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) 

You can also contact Council for more information about open air fires or to report a smoke nuisance issue.

Pollution from industrial buildings

The Environment Protection Authority investigates noise and pollution from or at industrial and commercial buildings like factories.

Contact us

To make a complaint or speak to Council about any of these matters, contact Council.