Where to get help and support

If you are experiencing hardship or doing it tough as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, these services may be able to help with food packages or vouchers, financial assistance, your safety, and legal advice. 

To find information about a particular service use the alphabetised menu below:

Support Services (A - G) Support Services (G - Z)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health support International student support
Community Connector Merri-bek Legal assistance
Disability support and information  Masks and face coverings
Employment resources and support Mental health and 
Family Support Refugee and Asylum Seeker support
Family violence Rent relief and housing support
Financial support services Support for Young People
Food relief services Useful services for older people
Gambler's Help remote support services  
Government payments and support  


Community Connector Merri-bek

Moreland Council has a dedicated phone line and email address for residents to contact if they need support as a result of the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

You can call 8311 4140 from Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm.

Email: casi@moreland.vic.gov.au


Food relief services

For an updated list of Food and Material relief services, please visit our Food relief web page.


Face masks

From 6:00pm on Friday 26 March, face masks will be mandatory:

  • on public transport 
  • in rideshare vehicles and taxis 
  • in sensitive settings, such as aged care facilities 
  • in airports and on flights

You must always carry a face mask with you when you leave home unless you have a lawful reason not to. You must wear one if you are in an indoor or outdoor setting and you can't physically distance from others. 


The Department of Health and Human Services will be distributing 2.1 million reusable face masks to:

  • Vulnerable Victorians

  • Aboriginal Victorians; and

  • Workforces who come into direct client contact and deliver Victorian Government funded health and human services to a range of vulnerable Victorians

Find out more about reusable face masks for vulnerable Victorians.

Additional mask and face covering resources:

Ordering reusable face masks - Information for service providers

Agencies eligible to place orders for masks include:

  • Community pharmacies
  • GP offices
  • Disability agencies and funded residential care services for people with disabilities
  • Clinical and NGO mental health services providing community and residential based care
  • Youth support services
  • Alcohol and drug services (including needle and syringe programs)
  • Family violence services
  • Agencies providing support to people in public housing and homeless people (including refugee and asylum seeker agencies)
  • Supported Residential Services and boarding houses
  • Aboriginal Community Controlled (Health) Organisations

Orders can only be made using the DHHS online ordering form.

There will be limits on the number of masks each agency will receive, to ensure a fair distribution of masks across Victoria.


Government payments and support 

You'll find more information about the available Federal and State Government payments and support during COVID-19 on our Government Payments and Support web page.


Rent relief and housing support

New temporary laws exist to protect Victorian tenants, landlords and the rental market from the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. New rules cover a moratorium on evictions, rent relief for eligible tenants, suspension of rental increases, land tax reductions and deferrals for landlords, and a new dispute resolution process. Find out more information on these new rules and changes for tenants and landlords through Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Rental Hardship

If you are experiencing rental hardship due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for assistance from the Victorian Government Rent Relief grants.

Accommodation and Support

If you need accommodation or support contact VincentCare on 1800 825 955 or visit VincentCare services page for a full list of available services.

Rental Advice

Seek information and basic advice by email from Tenants Victoria.

More information

See Council's Emergency housing page for more information.


Family violence

Family violence includes any actions where a family member threatens, intimidates, controls, stalks or harms another person within a family relationship or household.

See Council’s What is family violence web page for more information.

Times of stress, hardship and uncertainty, such as during the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, are never an excuse. 

Triple Zero (000) - if someone has been, or is about to be, injured, property is damaged, or other criminal acts happen that need a response immediately.

Services for women and their children

Berry Street Family Violence Support

Safe Steps Response Centre

Djirra (Koori Women's Place - support and legal advice for women)

Other family violence support services for women, men and children

See Council’s family violence help web page


Legal assistance

Northern Community Legal Centre

Free and confidential legal advice and assistance to people who live, work, or study in Merri-bek, Hume or Mitchell Shire municipalities.

​Current priority groups assisted include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; those experiencing mental ill health, disability, or cognitive impairment; homeless people; LGBTQI+ community; refugees and newly arrived; victims / survivors of family violence and young people under 25.

Victorian Legal Aid

Justice Connect

Helps people and community groups connect with free legal help. Regular services continue and services have been expanded for those affected by the COVID-19 crisis.

Services can be accessed online and via phone. 


Refugee and Asylum Seeker support

Asylum Seeker Welcome Centre

Cabirini Asylum Seeker and Refugee Health Hub

Co-Health Refugee and Asylum Seeker Service

Foundation House (Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture)

Your Community Health – Refugee/Asylum Seeker Health Service


Disability support and information 

Find more information on our Access to Council services and information web page.

NDIS Contact Centre


International student support

International Student Tenancy Outreach Program

International students living in rooming or share houses can seek help from an Outreach Worker.

Northern Community Legal Centre (NCLC)

Legal Clinic for international students addressing housing and renting rights, employment, managing debt, and accessing financial support.

Study Melbourne

Free events and confidential support services


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health support

Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS) 

Brother to Brother

Aboriginal men’s crisis support line (24-hour support). 

Support for family violence issues, parenting issues, communication, separation and relationship stress.


Family Support


Child Protection

After hours child protection emergency service


Support for young people


Butterfly Foundation

QLife (online counselling for LGBTQIA+ youth)

Eheadspace (Online and telephone support and counselling for 12–25 year olds)


Mental health and well-being

Lifeline provides crisis support and can be phoned any time on 13 11 14

Beyond Blue

Lifeline (24 hours/7 days)


Kids Helpline



Employment resources and support

If you have found yourself unemployed and looking for work based on various factors or perhaps the impacts of COVID-19, we’ve put together some handy information and tips to assist you in your job search. There is also information about Working for Victoria and support to register for Working for Victoria jobs.


Gambler's Help remote support services 

With gambling venues closed, some Victorians may be feeling anxious, stressed or bored. Some people may turn to other forms of gambling to cope. Gambler's Help support services remain available for anyone who might be affected by gambling issues.

Gambler's Help is available on 1800 858 858, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Online help is also available.


Uniting Financial Support Program

Uniting offers access to an extensive range of financial support services, including financial counselling and no interest loans and CareRing partnership with other community agencies, the Government, utility companies and financial service providers:

  • No Interest Loans of up to $1,500 for low-income households for example for education, household appliances, car-related costs and others.  Call 1800 002 992 or email info@kildonan.org.au to find out if you are eligible.
  • CareRing supports individuals and families experiencing financial issues and is a partnership between community agencies, the government, utility companies and financial service providers. Support services include assisting you to set up an affordable payment plan, checking your eligibility for concessions and grants and advising what to do if you have problems paying your bills. Call 1800 545 366 to find out if you are eligible.
  • The Uniting Financial Support Programs Website has details for financial counselling and other financial support programs in additional to these two above.


Useful services for older people

Moreland City Council continues to run useful services for older people. We are following official COVID-19 guidelines, to make sure you and our staff stay safe.