Transfer pet registration

Transferring registration from another Victorian Council

If you move to Merri-bek and your pet is registered with another Council in Victoria, you still need to register your pet with Moreland City Council.

Transferring registration is considered to be a new pet registration with Merri-bek City Council. This means that your pet must be microchipped and you must pay a registration fee.

When you transfer your pet's registration from another Council, the pet registration fee will be calculated for the remaining registration period. If you wish, you can provide evidence of your pet's current registration as it contains useful information about your pet's desexing status, microchip number, and age and date of birth.

Transferring registration from another state

Council does not accept a transfer of registration from outside Victoria. If your pet is registered in another state then you are required to apply for a new pet registration.

Transferring registration from another owner

If you are given an animal that is registered with Merri-bek City Council in another person's name, you can transfer the animal ownership to you.

You need to fill out the Transfer of Animal Ownership Form (DOC 33Kb) advising Council that you are the new owner of the animal. This form must be signed by both the previous owner and the new owner.