Pay an animal management fine

Council issues animal management infringements for breaches of state legislation. Local law fines are issued for breaches of Council's local laws.

Pay online

  1. Pay an animal management fine or Pay a local law fine online by Visa or MasterCard.
  2. You need the 'Infringement number' located on your notice.

You must pay the whole fine and not just a partial amount.

You cannot pay the fine if the fine has been referred to the courts for prosecution.

You can register as a user and sign in to Council Online Services to access My Accounts. As a registered user, you can keep track of requests and applications on any device and don't need to re-enter your personal information.

Pay an animal fine

Pay a local law fine

Other ways to pay

Pay by phone

  1. Pay an animal management or local law fine with a Visa or MasterCard over the phone 24 hours using Council's secure automated system.
  2. Phone 9240 1111 and press 1 to make a payment. Then press 1 to pay 'fines and infringements' and follow the voice prompts.
  3. You will need to provide the 'Infringement number' located on your notice and your Visa or MasterCard number details.

Pay by post

  1. Separate the payment slip at the bottom of the notice and mail it with your cheque or money order to Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10, Merri-bek 3058, before the due date.
  2. Make the cheque or money order payable to ‘Moreland City Council’ and cross it 'Not negotiable'. Do not include cash in the mail.

Council does not provide a receipt for payments received by mail. Keep the top section of the notice for your records.

Pay in person

  1. Bring your notice to a Council Customer Service Centre before the due date.
  2. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard, EFTPOS, cheque, money order and cash. The minimum payment for all card transactions is $10 and there is no cash out facility.

Request a payment plan

You can request to pay your animal management or local law fine through a payment plan if:

  • you are the holder of a Pensioner concession card, DVA Gold Card TPI (Total and Permanently Incapacitated), DVA Gold Card WW (War Widow), or Health Care Card, or
  • where two or more infringements are payable.

A payment plan is available for a maximum of 6 months.

Complete the Application for Infringement Payment Plan form (DOC 216Kb) to apply:

  • Post to Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10, Merri-bek Vic 3058
  • Fax to 9240 1212, or
  • Email Council a scanned copy of the form.

If you get a animal or local laws fine, you have 28 days to pay or arrange a payment plan with Council. Alternatively, if you meet certain circumstances, you can request a review of your fine.

Request a review of a local law or animal management fine

The Infringements Act 2006 allows one application for internal review.

To assist you in requesting a review of your local law or animal management fine, it is important to read the following information and to make sure you lodge the review within 28 days of receiving the fine.

Circumstances we will consider

In line with the Infringements Act 2006, one review of an infringement notice may be requested if you believe that:

The infringement notice was issued contrary to law (you believe you did not commit an offence).

Exceptional circumstances (verifiable and unforeseen circumstances outside of your control) could excuse the conduct for which the infringement notice was issued. Verifiable independent documentation is required for Council to consider the withdrawal of an infringement notice on the grounds of exceptional circumstances.

The infringement notice was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle. For example, you were not in the location; or you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time the infringement was issued; or you were not in the location at the time the infringement was issued.

You have special circumstances. In relation to infringements, special circumstances are considered to be circumstances which result in a person being unable to either understand or control the conduct that led to the offence:

  • a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
  • a serious addiction to drugs, or alcohol or a volatile substance, or
  • homelessness.

More information about special and exceptional circumstances is available on the Victorian Government Fines Victoria website.

How is an internal review conducted?

When undertaking a review Council takes into account all of the available information, including:

  • information collected by the issuing officer
  • circumstances outlined in your request for internal review
  • supporting documentation provided with your request, and
  • requirements under the relevant legislation.

What happens next?

In accordance with the Infringements Act 2006, Council has up to 90 days to respond to an appeal.

When the appeal is received, the infringement is placed on hold. You are not required to do anything during the review period.

Council will advise you of the outcome of your request.

Should the infringement be upheld, you will be advised of a new payment date.

If you do not pay an infringement notice or take any other action (for example, request a payment extension or elect to go to court) by the new due date, the infringement continues through the infringement process and you incur additional costs.

Having the matter heard in court

You may elect to have the matter dealt with in the Magistrates Court. You need to notify Council in writing Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10 Merri-bek 3058.

How to apply for a review


Request to review of a local law or animal management fine. Supporting documentation may be attached.

In person or mail

You can request a review of your infringement notice by completing the Application for Internal Review form (DOC 64Kb).

You MUST include the following information:

  • your name and postal address
  • the infringement notice number
  • an explanation of why you believe the infringement notice should be reviewed, and
  • any supporting documentation.

Send your request by post to Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10, Merri-bek 3058, or deliver in person to a Customer Service Centre.

The Mayor and Councillors are unable to have any involvement in Council's administrative functions and are therefore unable to influence or respond to infringement notices or appeals.