Lost and found pets
What to do if you lose your pet
If your pet is missing contact Merri-bek's pound provider Epping Animal Welfare Facility. The facility is operated by RSPCA.
Location: RSPCA VIC Epping, 20 Companion Place, Epping, 3076
Phone: 8401 6600
What else you can do
- Ask your neighbours if they have seen your pet
- Check your property including any hiding places
- List your pet on a local community lost animals Facebook page such as Lost and Found Pets and Animals Merri-bek.
Help prevent your pet from getting lost
To help prevent losing your pet, make sure you:
- Microchip and register your dog or cat so we can locate you if your pet is found
- Put name tags on your pet with a contact phone number
- Check fences so your pet cannot escape and close gates
- Keep your pet inside at night.
What to do if you find a lost animal
If you find an animal and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you must contact Council as soon as possible. If you call after hours, you will be directed to Council's after hours service.
- It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
- It is important to be cautious when approaching strange animals. A lost animal may be afraid and attack, so if you are unsure leave any contact to Council officers.
- If the animal is friendly, contain it as soon as possible with a leash or on your property. This will ensure it is safe from traffic or any other dangers.
- If you find a native Australian animal, call Wildlife Rescue on 1300 094 535.
What happens to the animal?
All dogs and cats found in Merri-bek are taken to Epping Animal Welfare Facility.
Release fees are payable to RSPCA prior to collecting your animal.