Gender Equality Commitment
The Gender Equality Commitment, adopted by Council on 13 March 2019, supports Council to promote equality and inclusion in the Merri-bek community through collaboration across Council and partnerships with community stakeholders.
A community reference group with 14 members oversees the implementation of the first action plan 2019-2021.
What is gender equality?
Gender equality means the equality of rights, opportunities and responsibilities for people of all genders. Promoting gender equality prevents family violence and violence against women and girls.
Current Action Priorities
- Planning for Council's annual International Women's Day Event on 20 March 2021 with community partners Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria, Northern Community Legal Centre and VICSEG New Futures.
Theme: 'Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world.
Please email Merri-bek Gender Equality or phone 9240 111 if you are interested in participating.
Addressing Council's requirements under the Victorian Gender Equality Act that commences on 31 March 2021, including completing a Workplace Gender Equality Audit, conducting Gender Impact Assessments and submitting the first Gender Equality Action Plan by 31 October 2021 to the new Commission for Gender Equality in the Public Sector.
Respect Women: Call It Out, statewide awareness campaign from 25 November to 10 December 2020 in partnership with Municipal Association of Victoria and Respect Victoria. Activites included:
Webinar on 25 November 2020 with Paul Zappa, General Manager of The Men’s Project at Jesuit Social Services: Saying No to Violence Against Women - Supporting communities to work with men and boys to foster respect and celebrate healthier expressions of masculinity.
- Active bystander online training for Council employees in partnership with Merri Health.
- Promoting respect and how to call it out, support services and what respect means to community members through online messaging (website, facebook) and Council facilities.
- Gender Equality Commitment 2019 - Summary (PDF) (PDF 1Mb)
- Gender Equality Commitment 20219 - full version (PDF 701Kb)
- Gender Equality Commitment 2019 - full version (DOC 196Kb)
Related Council policies
Please email Merri-bek Gender Equality or phone 9240 111 if you are interested in or have any queries regarding Council's work to promote gender equality.