Merlynston Linear Park - Development (Stage 3)
The Merlynston Creek Park Draft Development Plan (PDF 880Kb) is a long term plan to improve this open space over several years. It was developed with the input of the Merlynston Sustainability Group and Melbourne Water, and was endorsed by Council in March 2015.
The aim of the plan is to improve the liveability of the Merlynston area by providing a well designed space close to home for people to exercise, walk their dogs, socialise, relax, play, connect with others and nature.
The key components of the plan are:
- Improved pedestrian and bike links through the area
- Tree planting and landscaping
- A play space to complement the parkour structure (the yellow balls) on the corner of Lily/Guilfoyle Streets, including shelter and natural play
- Small play and potentially exercise sites in various locations along the network of parks
- Water sensitive urban design solutions, such as rain gardens, where appropriate
- Investigation of an off-leash dog section in the park (the whole area is currently designated an on-leash dog site), and
- Traffic calming measures on the roads linking the parks.
The Merlynston Creek Park Draft Development Plan is being implemented in stages:
- Stage 1 of the Merlynston Linear Park Development was implemented between 2014 and 2016, to include a new play space and basketball half court at Sanger Reserve, corner of Lily Street and Guilfoyle Avenue.
- Stage 2 of the Merlynston Linear Park Development saw some general upgrades which were completed in 2017.
- Stage 3 was completed in 2018 and focused on improvements to the land between Tonkin Avenue and Rollo Street with many locals enjoying the playful elements created within this space.
- Stage 4 will be completed in the 2018-19 financial year.
Stage 3 timelines
Council allocated funding in the 2017-18 financial year for improvements to the land between Tonkin Avenue and Rollo Streets along the Merlynston Linear Park.
Residents and the wider community were invited to submit feedback on the proposal shown in the Merlynston Linear Park Stage 3 Concept Plan - Tonkin - Rollo 'Play Moments' (PDF 478Kb).
The proposal incorporated a blend of sensory play over the ground and among garden beds through a variety of paving and hard materials which can be used for balancing, standing and sitting on, as well as some new, contemporary play equipment. These new elements activated the space and provide better access through this reserve with small play moments to excite children on their way through.
After reviewing community feedback, which closed in April 2018, stage 3 improvement works were completed in the second half of 2018.
Stage 4 of the Merlynston Linear Park Development will see improvements north of Tonkin Avenue in the 2018-19 financial year. The design will involve the input of local community members, Melbourne Water representatives and students from the nearby Pascoe Vale North Primary School.
Merlynston Linear Park
There are some documents that are only available as PDFs on this page. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, you can contact us through our contact web page and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. You can also go to our accessibility web page to find out further details.