Customer requests and enquiries

Report a problem, ask a question, or give us feedback online.

Register as a user with Online Services and sign in to be able to view the status of all requests you have logged with Council.

Alternatively, you can go to My requests to view the status of your requests. You need to be on the same device you used to log the issue.



Visit our Complaints page to learn how to make a complaint about our services. 

Dumped rubbish


If you have concerns about noise from the Level Crossing Removal Project (LXRP) please call 1800 105 105 (available 24/7) or email
For further information about the LXRP visit:



Unsightly property

Fine review

Vehicle crash report

All other reports and requests

Use this category if your issue is not listed above or you want to make an anonymous report.


Council is committed to protecting your privacy. Any personal information you share will only be used by Council to process your message. Council will not give this information to any other individual or organisations unless required by law.

Change of name, address or ownership

Tell Council of any change of name, address or ownership through a separate form.

Other ways to contact Council

See contact us for other ways to contact Council by phone, in person, by mail, or online.