Apply for Land Information Certificate
Information on a Land Information Certificate
Land Information Certificates tell you the following information about the property you are purchasing:
- all current valuations on the property including Site Value, Capital Improved Value and the Net Annual Value
- rates including arrears and interest, and
- property debts.
A Land Information Certificate is required because when you become the owner all rates and charges are usually paid on settlement.
Information required to apply
When you apply for a Land Information Certificate you need to provide details of the property you are purchasing such as:
- the lot and plan number
- the street number and street name
- volume and folio number from the title
- the current owner's name and address
- your name and address.
These details help to give you the correct information on the property you are buying.
How to apply for a Land Information Certificate
Anyone can apply for a Land Information Certificate, however, your solicitor or conveyancer normally does this for you.
Privacy Act requirements with respect to ownership may apply.
Use Council's online certificates
Apply and pay for a Land Information Certificate online and receive the certificate from Council in pdf format by email.
- Register with Council Online Services. As a registered user, you don't need to re-enter your personal information and can keep track of requests and applications on any device.
- Apply for a certificate. You need to sign in to Council Online Services to apply.
- As part of the online application process, the fee is paid by Visa or MasterCard.
It is cheaper to buy a Land Information Certificate through Council's online certificates, than through ANSTAT or LANDATA, as Council does not charge extra commission costs.
Use ANSTAT online system
Visit ANSTAT Online Property Information System to apply and pay for land information certificates, and other title, property and company searches and certificates.
You must register first with ANSTAT before you search or apply for a certificate.
Use LANDATA Property Certificates
You can use the Victorian Government's LANDATA Property Certificates System to apply and pay for land information certificates, and other property, planning, survey and Vicroads certificates and reports.
You must register first with LANDATA before you can search or apply for a certificate.
Send in an application form
Submit the form with your payment of $27.50 for each property at a Council Customer Service Centre, or by post to Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10, Merri-bek 3058.