Your rates at work (Media release)
A message from your Mayor John Kavanagh:
I am proud to let you know that a wide range of projects and initiatives will be funded in the coming year with your rates.
The 2018 – 19 financial year will see many services and infrastructure projects being delivered – all within the Victorian Government’s 2.25% capped rate increase.
The nature of Council’s work necessarily changes as our community grows and asks different things of us.
In this financial year we will continue to deliver a range of essential services.
These include support for the elderly, immunisation for infants, assistance for early years learning, wonderful libraries and leisure centres - along with vital services like -rubbish collection and street cleaning.
The money raised from rates will be spent in the following way:
- 28.1% on capital works, such as new buildings and upgrades to infrastructure
- 19.9% on asset maintenance and management
- 13.4% on urban development and safety
- 11.9% on aged care, social policy and support
- 11.4% on waste management and street cleaning
- 5.1% on arts and library services
- 5.0% on maternal and child health
- 3.5% on leisure and youth
- 1.0% on economic development
- 0.7% on debt management
I fully appreciate that rates can be a burden but rest assured, we continue to work diligently on finding cost savings.
I encourage those who are experiencing financial difficulties to contact Council to discuss payment options.
17 August 2018