Statement of support to whistleblowers
Moreland City Council is committed to the aims and objectives of the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 (the Act). Council does not tolerate improper conduct by its elected representatives or employees, nor the taking of reprisals against those who come forward to disclose such conduct.
Council recognises the value of transparency and accountability in its democratic governance, administrative and management practices, and supports the making of disclosures that reveal corrupt conduct, conduct involving a substantial mismanagement of public resources, or conduct involving a substantial risk to public health and safety or the environment.
Council will take all reasonable steps to protect people who make such disclosures from any detrimental action in reprisal for making the disclosure. It will also make every endeavour to afford natural justice to the person who is the subject of the disclosure.
Protected Disclosure Act Council Guidelines
- to encourage and facilitate disclosures of improper conduct by public officers (defined in the Act as including Councillors and Council staff, and ex-councillors and staff) and public bodies (defined as including all local governments)
- to provide protection for persons who make disclosures and for persons who may suffer reprisals in relation to those disclosures
- to provide for matters disclosed to be properly investigated and dealt with
- provides contact details for people in Merri-bek City Council, and
- outlines the reporting system and processes.
Download the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 Council Guidelines (PDF 556Kb) or Protected Disclosure Act 2012 Council Guidelines (DOC 92Kb).