Merri-bek local laws
Councils have various responsibilities and powers under both state and federal laws. Where appropriate, Councils may make local laws that exercise these powers. Local laws are often adopted to protect public health, safety or amenity in a municipality. Local laws only apply within a particular municipality
Council has developed local legislation that provides for order and good governance in Merri-bek. These laws were developed through a proactive consultation process.
The objectives and purpose of these local laws are outline below.
Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018
The purpose of this local law is to provide for:
- promote a physical and social environment that is accessible and free from hazards to health, in which the residents of and visitors to the municipality can enjoy a quality of life that meets the general expectations of the community
- protect the use of public places and control activities in, on or near them
- provide for safety in public places
- control, protect and conserve the environment and maintain the amenity of the municipality
- provide for, control and manage the use of premises and vehicles in particular circumstances
- regulate the number and manner of keeping of animals
- control, prevent and abate nuisances, and
- provide for the peace, order and good government of the municipality.
Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (PDF 816Kb).
Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 618Kb).
If you require a copy of Council's General Local Law 2018, please contact Council.
Meeting Procedure Local Law 2018
The objectives of this local law are to:
- provide the procedures governing the conduct of Meetings
- provide for the election of the Mayor and a Deputy Mayor
- set the rules of behaviour for those participating in, or present at, meetings
- provide for the appointment of Councillor office holders and assignments as Members of committees established by the Council or as Council representatives to external committees and organisations, and
- provide for the use of Council’s Common Seal.
Meeting Procedure Local Law 2018 (DOC 366Kb)
The Merri-bek City Council has established Governance Rules in accordance with section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020. The Governance Rules were adopted by resolution of Council on 12 August 2020 to commence on 1 September 2020.
The Governance Rules determine the way in which Council will:
- Make decisions:
- in the best interest of the Merri-bek community;
- fairly and on the merits of the question;
- in a way that ensures any person whose rights will be directly affected by a decision will be entitled to communicate their views and have their interests considered;
- Elect its Mayor and Deputy Mayor;
- Conduct Meetings of Council and Delegated Committees;
- Give notice of Meetings and record and make available Meeting records (Minutes and livestreamed Meetings);
- Be informed in its decision making through community engagement, Advisory Committees and Councillor areas of responsibility, and Council officer reports;
- Require the disclosure and management of conflicts of interest.
The Governance Rules also include:
- Rules for the conduct of Council and Councillors during Election Periods, through the Election Period Policy;
- An overview of alignment of the Governance Rules within Council’s democratic and corporate governance; and
- Provisions for use of the Common Seal.
The Moreland City Council General Local Law 2007 (DOC 748Kb) has been superseded by the Meeting Procedure Local Law 2018 (DOC 366Kb).