Street trading and special events

When you require a Street Trading and Special Event permit

If you wish to promote your business or hold any other special event on public land, then a permit must be obtained through Merri-bek Council.

The permit enables groups and business owners to:

  • Undertake spruiking and promotion of their business to customers, including handing out flyers.
  • Sell goods and services from public places as one-off promotions.
  • Conduct special events.
  • Conduct activities in a public space where furniture or other items may be placed on public land.
  • Place furniture associated with businesses such as tables and chairs on footways.

You must apply for a Street Trading and Special Event permit before conducting any of these activities in public places.

For information on filming see filming in Merri-bek.

Why you require this permit

Council issues Street Trading and Special Event permits to:

  • Manage and facilitate responsible trading and entertainment, and
  • Support local business owners to engage with their customers through extended promotion of their business in public places as well as through special events.

Penalties apply if you engage in street trading and special event activities without a valid permit.

This permit is required by the Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb).


The permit fee is $360.70.

Do I require a permit?

Moreland Council do not require groups or individuals registered with one of the following to obtain a permit however, details of the event are required to ensure the public space is managed in accordance with safety and public amenity requirements by completing an Activity Notification form (DOC 80Kb).

  • Victorian Electoral Commission
  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Consumer Affairs (Co-operatives Public Register, Fundraisers Public Register or Incorporated Associations Public Register)
  • Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commission
  • Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority

How to apply for an on-street activity permit

Complete the Street Trading and Special Events Permit Application form (DOC 64Kb).

Once you have completed the form you may:

What happens after you apply

Once your application is received, Council will review the application.