Reynard Street Substation – Public Transport Victoria
Public Transport Victoria (PTV) are in the planning stages of building a new tram power substation located on the corner of Reynard Street and Braemar Street in Pascoe Vale.
The substation will be designed to ensure it meets all relevant operating standards and guidelines, operates safely and has minimal impacts on the local community.
Because the substation is classified as a minor utility under the Victorian Planning Scheme it does not require planning approval from council.
Location of the substation
In February 2019, Merri-bek Council wrote to PTV to express community concern over the substation, and requested further details be provided to respond to these concerns.
Council requested further information on the following:
- The likely output of electromagnetic fields (EMF) and further details of the substation transformer
- Design features that would contain the possible EMF levels within formally recognised safe limits
- Concept drawings of the proposed substation, including height, setback, boundaries, construction materials, external lighting, external air conditioning units, signage and points of access
- A report prepared by an appropriately qualified practitioner that demonstrates the substation will not result in dangerous level of EMF in neighbouring dwellings and detail the appropriate legislation and regulations that guide EMF assessments and control measures
- An undertaking to carry out EMF monitoring in and around nearby dwellings prior to construction following the commissioning of the submission
- Details of likely noise to be created by air-conditioning and measures to mitigate noise impacts on neighbouring properties.
The selected site of the substation has been based on a number of factors including its vacancy and proximity to a suitable connection point to tram lines.
Construction is expected to begin in mid-2019.
Construction of the new building will be similar to small-scale residential building developments in the area.
Looking for more information?
This project is delivered and coordinated by the State Government (Public Transport Victoria).
If you have a question or would like further information about this project, you can contact Public Transport Victoria via their website.