Future Merri-bek: Planning today for tomorrow
Moreland’s population is growing and we are planning for the future.
It is estimated that Melbourne will grow from 5 to 8 million people in the next few decades and this growth will also affect Merri-bek.
In the next few years, our population is expected to hit 200,000 and by 2036, the City of Merri-bek is projected to grow by an extra 43,000 people and 18,000 households.
Future Merri-bek: Connected - Progressive - Responsible
Future Merri-bek is Council’s vision to best prepare our city and community for Merri-bek’s projected population growth through the delivery of a range of targeted strategies and initiatives that include:
- Transport - how we move in and around our city
- Open space and parks - to ensure everyone has access to an outdoor space for recreation and relaxation
- Housing availability and affordability
- Striving to reach our zero carbon targets by 2040
Future Merri-bek is underpinned by the Council vision:
Moreland will be known for its proud diversity and for being a connected, progressive and sustainable city in which to live work and play.
Future Merri-bek also links to Council’s strategic objectives for a:
- Connected community
- Progressive city
- Responsible council
One community proudly diverse
Through Future Merri-bek Council is planning now for the future needs of our residents, businesses and visitors, to ensure Merri-bek remains a liveable city that celebrates its diversity, is forward-looking, equitable and environmentally-conscious.
Learn more about Future Merri-bek
- Future Merri-bek Questions and Answers (PDF 125Kb)
- Future Merri-bek Questions and Answers (DOC 630Kb)