Council offers two categories to support the operational expenses of organisations that are based within Merri-bek that has limited or no access to other sources of funding. Operational grants supports the development of newly formed organisations; and Organisational Support grants supports an incorporated established organisation.
Organisational support grants
Aims to support established Merri-bek based incorporated organisations that addresses clearly identified needs of the Merri-bek community, healthy living, encourage participation and community inclusion, Applicants must provide the 2 previous years of financial statements that demonstrates evidence of limited access to other sources of funding. The funding term is two years with the option to extend a further two years, subject to application and compliance with requirements. It is expected that the organisation be self-maintained and suitably self-sufficient at the end of the funding term.
Next application period opens 1 August 2022.
A maximum of $10,000 per year or $20,000 over 2 years.
Funding is provided initially up to 24 months, with the option to extend a further two years, subject to compliance with requirements.
Supports the development of a newly formed organisation that addresses clearly identified needs and embraces the principles of social justice, healthy living, environmental sustainability and community inclusion.
Funding will be provided for 3 years only; it is expected that the organisation be self-maintained and suitably self-sufficient at the end of the funding term. Applications will be accepted every 3 years for this category.
Next appliction period opens February 2023.
A maximum of $10,000 per year or $30,000 over 3 years.
How to apply
Apply online at our grants website to complete and submit an application.
The current funded period is 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2023.
Funding offered to support the establishment and capacity development of emerging organisations that require funding to assist the delivery of quality programs and services within the municipality.
- The development of newly established community organisations.
- The establishment and capacity building of emerging organisations that require funding to assist the delivery of quality programs and services within Merri-bek. For example, newly formed groups and organisations.
Community Grants Program guidelines (DOC 534Kb) provides further information about these grant categories.
General eligibility criteria
To apply for funds through any one of the categories of the Merri-bek Community Grants Program, organisations must:
- be not-for-profit and managed by a volunteer board or committee of management
- be incorporated
- have adequate public liability insurance
- have no outstanding grant acquittals or outstanding debts owing to Council
- propose an initiative which will benefit the Merri-bek community
- be able to supply financial statements and information as requested
- be able to meet conditions associated with receiving the grant, and
- demonstrate the proposed activity is consistent with Local, State and Federal laws including Victorian Equal Opportunity Act 1995.
In addition to general funding priorities, these categories is specifically for:
- These category funds operational costs such as rent, administration and core program delivery over a period of three years, with defined deliverables.
- Organisations that demonstrate willingness to actively work with Council toward service delivery for the benefit of the community.
- Organisations that can provide evidence of limited access to funding sources, therefore must clearly demonstrate willingness to actively seek other sources of income with the view to non-dependance on Council funding.
What will not be funded
- Organisations that are not based within Merri-bek.
- Projects or activities that are considered to be core services of State or Federal Government.
- Initiatives that do not focus or directly benefit the Merri-bek community.
- Initiatives that are singular, insular or of self-interest to the applicant or that promote the business or profit interest of the applicant.
- More than one application by an applicant under the any category in a financial year.
- Requests for retrospective funding.
- Applications submitted after the closing date.
- Purchase of equipment, uniforms or capital expenditure.
- Costs associated with the purchase or maintenance of vehicles of any kind.
- Core programs or services that are already funded by Council.
- Organisations that do not focus or directly benefit the Merri-bek community.
- Organisations that receive other significant sources of funding
- Organisations that are already financially viable or have significant funds to support operations.
All applicants must read the Community Grants Program guidelines (DOC 534Kb) prior to submitting an application, these guidelines provide further information about the grant proram, funding categories as well as more information of funding priorities and what will and won't be funded.
How to apply
To apply online, go to our grants website to complete and submit an application.
See once you have received a grant for information about reporting and other requirements for grant recipients.